Balmain - Opposites Attract
Balmain have a lot to thank the Kardashian/Jenners for, they really helped to propel the brand to a new height that Balmain had not achieved for years. Not only was the brand helped by the most famous reality family but Olivier Rousteing put the brand on social media before other big fashion brands had even thought about it and it worked in his favour. The added social media exposure put the brand on another level and allowed people an insight into a fashion brand which had been limited previously. Olivier seems to have always had a skill with social media but it is probably because he is one of the youngest creative directors.
I have loved Balmain for years and I still frequently trawl resell sites to get my hands on the Balmain x H&M Velvet dress of my dreams. Alas, they are all so expensive and it is hard to come by any sizes which aren't an 8 or 10 (I'm looking for a size 4.)
![]() |
| Picture from Vogue |
Spring/Summer 2020
This season felt like a departure from the sleek and glamourous skimpy dresses of the Kardashians. It is still statement, just in a different way. All of it starts out very monochromatic with graphic shapes and then a slight bit of yellow and green are added and eventually it is an all out bright colour fest. So much so that it made the front cover of The Times.
Not only did colour and opulence dominate the runway but so did asymmetric lines and patterns which add some art deco vibes to a portion of the runway. Look 18 was the closest I got to liking anything too experimental. It is a contrast two piece with black on one side and white on the other, and the top and skirt are opposite patterns. As well as the opposite pattern, the skirt had a mini length in the front but a train at the back (picture above.) There is contrast in every aspect of this outfit and I really like it.
Slogan tops do not seem to be going anywhere with Balmain featuring one as part of a look this season and frequent emblems on the accessories, it is a bit like the Saint Laurent or Burberry runways which both featured slogan pieces. This trend has come back season after season so it might be a good time to invest. The slogan top was paired with a striped skirt similar to the one in the previous look, are asymmetric hem lines back?
The runway moves into some bold, and rich in colour, outfits and the standout for me is the absolutely gorgeous royal blue they use. It is the rich, vibrant blue that looks stunning on every singe model. There is a blue pleated skirt in the colour that is gorgeous and I need it for my wardrobe. It was the bright denim numbers that made the cover of The Times. I have to say I don't often associate denim with Balmain but I do associate high glam with Balmain which was encompassed in look 70.
Look 70 was everything I want to see from Balmain: big shoulders, shimmer and a strong shape which is what you get from this look. It is a fiery red with splits on each leg which looks both: super glam and super fierce. I am glad to see this style of outfit on the runway. My favourite outfit from the entire show was slightly casual but totally extra at the same time. It is a ultra glitz skirt with a mesh bottom and a plain white top. Even though the skirt is a lot, it is perfectly balanced with the plain top. I would happy wear this to my local shopping centre.
Balmain sort of delivered what I wanted to see but I do feel a bit short changed. I feel like there was a little bit more structuring and luxury in previous runways and I just didn't feel like this one lived up to that.
![]() |
| Picture from Vogue |
Slogan tops do not seem to be going anywhere with Balmain featuring one as part of a look this season and frequent emblems on the accessories, it is a bit like the Saint Laurent or Burberry runways which both featured slogan pieces. This trend has come back season after season so it might be a good time to invest. The slogan top was paired with a striped skirt similar to the one in the previous look, are asymmetric hem lines back?
The runway moves into some bold, and rich in colour, outfits and the standout for me is the absolutely gorgeous royal blue they use. It is the rich, vibrant blue that looks stunning on every singe model. There is a blue pleated skirt in the colour that is gorgeous and I need it for my wardrobe. It was the bright denim numbers that made the cover of The Times. I have to say I don't often associate denim with Balmain but I do associate high glam with Balmain which was encompassed in look 70.
![]() |
| Picture from Vogue |
Look 70 was everything I want to see from Balmain: big shoulders, shimmer and a strong shape which is what you get from this look. It is a fiery red with splits on each leg which looks both: super glam and super fierce. I am glad to see this style of outfit on the runway. My favourite outfit from the entire show was slightly casual but totally extra at the same time. It is a ultra glitz skirt with a mesh bottom and a plain white top. Even though the skirt is a lot, it is perfectly balanced with the plain top. I would happy wear this to my local shopping centre.
Balmain sort of delivered what I wanted to see but I do feel a bit short changed. I feel like there was a little bit more structuring and luxury in previous runways and I just didn't feel like this one lived up to that.
![]() |
| Picture from Vogue |
Based on This Show, What Should You Add to Your S/S Wardrobe?
Be Extra, it is expected with Balmain. Balmain is not for a shrinking violet, the clothes are bold and unapologetic. Even if you can't add a Balmain piece to your wardrobe (don't worry, I can't either) add the Balmain attitude of being a boss ass bitch.
Add Asymmetric Lines and Shape to my Wardrobe. There have been a lot of asymmetric lines and cuts in runways this season but Balmain have really used it as a theme. It is certainly worth looking at some geometric patterned clothes this season.
Royal Blue! I am obsessed with the bright blue that has been used in this runway, in the more colourful part of the runway. I love this colour and I can't imagine there is anyone who doesn't suit this colour. I know I will be looking to add it to my wardrobe for sure.
Big Shoulder Pads are Always Relevant. There have been so many shoulder pads this season which I have to say I am not thrilled about because they do not suit my tiny frame. This 80s staple seems to have made its way back to the runway this season so it is worth looking for a blazer with some shoulder pads.
Deconstructed Tux is Back. Saint Laurent was all about the deconstructed suit and Balmain seems to have taken a similar approach. There are cut outs and blazers paired with more casual skirts which give it the deconstructed look. It is a less formal take on a female suit.
If you want to see more of the Balmain Runway, take a look at the Vogue article: Balmain: Spring/Summer 2020
Check out some of my other Fashion Week posts:
Check out some of my other Fashion Week posts:
|
|
|
|
|










0 Yorumlar